Thursday, November 28, 2013

Give thanks.

Despite its rather obvious title, I have noticed in recent years that many people seem to be under the impression that Thanksgiving is more about turkey and cranberry sauce and less about giving thanks.  Don't get me wrong, I love food.  Especially turkey and cranberry sauce.  However, I do think that it's important to take the name of the holiday to heart.  

Too many people take too many things for granted and, while I think it's important to give thanks every day, I know that it can be easy to forget.  That's where Thanksgiving comes into play.  It's basically some cosmic power being like: "Okay, you've all been selfish, whiny assholes all year.  Appreciate life for a day."  We are literally being given a day to redeem ourselves.

Growing up in a family of vegetarians, my Thanksgivings have varied from year to year and have followed a less traditional path.  However, even my weird, quirky, vegetarian family has their own Thanksgiving traditions.

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and Cornish game hens aside, every year before Thanksgiving dinner, we go around the table and say what we're thankful for.  It's a bit of a joke in my family that I am always the first one to give thanks and I always say the same thing.

In 1912, my great grandfather (on my father's side of the family) bought a ticket for the Titanic.  Being a poor jockey, he would have likely been fated for a watery grave.  However, at the last minute, he was asked to ride in one more horse race and he forewent his trip on the "world's safest ship" in order to take advantage of this opportunity.

So, here I am.

As well as the rest of my wonderful, wonderful family.

And, although it has turned into a bit of a joke in my family, I hope that the sentiment is not lost on anyone.  There is really nothing I could be more thankful for.  If my great grandfather had ridden on the doomed ship, none of us would be here.  And, let's be real, what on Earth would the rest of the world do without the Cawleys?

Unfortunately, this is the first time I have not been able to spend Thanksgiving with my family.  In order to boost my spirits, I decided to think of all of the things I am thankful for as well as to take the liberty of asking some of my closest friends what they are giving thanks for today.

I've included some of the responses I've gotten.

***

I am thankful for:

...for having a good job.

...YOU. And my dog. And beer.

...my family and awesome friends.

...being able to travel, beings able to live and work in NYC, for good family, friends, and food.

I am thankful it's snowing! and for family!

....for the crazy people that love me.

...that fact that I just woke up. (At 11:02 AM.)

...for having a best friend who I love.

...Marty. (Her cat.)

And my personal favorite:

I am thankful for so much, but perhaps most of all for the fireplace my parents just had put in... my life has been changed.

***

So that's that.  My cheesy Thanksgiving post.  I just want to express my gratitude and give thanks to everyone who takes a few minutes out of their day to look at my blog!  

I love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment